Acorn Conceptual Textiles need a constant stream of fresh ideas and cutting-edge knowledge. The company turned to Nottingham Trent University (NTU) to find placement students.
- For more than a decade now, Acorn has taken Nottingham Trent University students on 12-month placements.
- The students are able to develop their practical and commercial skills, while bringing new ideas to the firm's projects.
- Established in 1996, Acorn Contemporary Textiles is a small yet very successful textile studio based in Nottingham.
- Working with the biggest fashion houses in the world as well as leading high street labels, the company produces innovative and sophisticated textile and garment concepts. Acorn also provides knitwear and trend consultancy.
- Acorn takes on two or three students a year from NTU.
"Working with NTU over the past decade has been great for us. We've proven that you don't have to be a big company to offer placements – there's been a clear benefit to us and the students. It's definitely a worthwhile venture."
Rob Weldon, Director, Acorn Contemporary Textiles
- Acorn Conceptual Textiles needs a constant stream of people with fresh ideas and the latest industry knowledge in order to thrive in the fast-paced world of fashion.
- Being right on the company's doorstep and having a highly reputable Knitwear course, meant NTU was an attractive option to provide student talent.
- For more than a decade now, Acorn has taken on two or three students a year on 12-month placements. The students are able to develop their practical and commercial skills, while bringing new ideas to the firm's projects. They also get the chance to meet clients and even travel to international trade shows.
- Acorn works closely with the course at NTU. Designers come to present their company and issue design challenges. Those who are interested in a placement are carefully assessed for their suitability. Some students progress to full-time employment with the company.
- Acorn benefits from working with some of the UK's best students with innovative ideas and contemporary skills.
- The company helps to develop the next generation of talented designers.
- Year-long placements give the students chance to settle in and for Acorn to better assess their potential for graduate positions.
- Students have gone onto employment all over the world, creating a vital global network that has opened up new business opportunities.