Thursday 23 March 2017
Celebrating Collaboration and Achievement at Nottingham Law School
Shaun Smith (QC) addresses the audience
Nottingham Law School's Celebrating Collaboration and Achievement evening took place on Wednesday 15 March and welcomed many external guests, students and NLS staff to the University.
The event is an opportunity to showcase and celebrate the success of current projects by Nottingham Law School students and to thank invited guests and staff for providing support.
Shaun Smith (QC) from No.1 High Pavement Chambers gave a really inspirational introductory speech, raising important issues around access to justice.
The following projects were presented by the students:
1. Summer Schools – Hannah Lopez and Lindsay Mitchel
2. Financial Services Pathway (Law4Futures) - Harriet Parkin and Joseph Wigmore
3. E-newsletter promoting employability activities – Christopher Neale and Shannon Gray
4. Freshfields Stephen Lawrence Scholarship Scheme – Akil Hunte
5. Commercial “Streetlaw” sessions – Kim Pons, Natalie Foster, Benjamin Green, Dominic Simon and Stepan Ovakimyan
6. Going Undergrad – Achievements of Undergraduate Students in the Legal Advice Centre – Kate Chattaway, Billy Shaw, Lindsay Mitchell and Liam Payne
7. Negotiation Competition – Junely Coker, Akil Hunte, Kim Pons and Lorissa Mignott
The students delivered genuinely stimulating presentations, encouraging their fellow students to participate in similar projects in the future and explaining how important these experiences have been for both their professional and personal lives.
The evening would not have been possible without the support of the individuals, firms and organisations who assist the Law School in many and varied ways. The networking event that followed the presentations was an invaluable opportunity for the students, staff and guests to exchange experiences and ideas, creating a rich debate and interesting discussions.
This was the fifth edition of one of NLS most successful yearly events, and we are already looking forward to next year’s Celebrating Collaboration and Achievement evening.