Complaints procedure

Complaints Procedure for Students - Summary

If you are concerned about an aspect of your learning experience, you can use the complaints procedure for students to bring your concerns to the attention of relevant staff. The procedure enables investigation of the concerns with the aim of satisfactory resolution, and is available to students who are enrolled on University courses. Students who are studying at franchised centres should follow the centre's procedures in the first place.

There are specific timescales for making complaints. It is important that if you wish to use the procedure, you raise the issue at the local level (level 1) within 60 working days from the incident or cause for concern using the Level 1 Complaint Form.

There are three levels to the procedure:

Level 1

Raise your complaint within 60 working days of the cause for concern. Submit the Level 1 Complaint Form to the relevant School/Service your complaint relates to.

Your complaint will be acknowledged within 5 working days. The response will be communicated within 20 working days of receipt.

Level 2

If you remain dissatisfied, raise your complaint within 10 working days of the date of the Level 1 outcome. Submit the Level 2 Complaint Form to

Your complaint will be acknowledged within 5 working days. The response will be communicated within 30 working days of receipt. (If this is not possible, an alternative timescale will be provided).

Level 3

If you remain dissatisfied, request a review within 10 working days of the Level 2 outcome date. Submit the Level 3 Complaint Form to

Your complaint will be acknowledged within 5 working days. The response will be communicated within 15 working days of receipt.


If you remain dissatisfied after exhausting the University's Complaints Procedure, request a review within 12 months of the date of the Completion of Procedures Letter. OIA timescales vary.

Formal hearing

Sometimes it is not possible to reach a satisfactory resolution to a problem through the above steps, and in such cases a formal hearing may be appropriate to determine the outcome of the complaint.

Students also have access to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for external, independent review if they remain dissatisfied following the formal stage of the University's complaints procedure.

There are separate procedures covering matters relating to:

Matters brought to the University's attention through the complaints procedure will be treated as valuable student feedback and the operation of the procedure is carefully monitored. The University welcomes feedback on its services and will use the findings to improve them where appropriate and possible.

Further information about the complaints procedure is available from the Academic Registry. Independent advice can be sought from the Nottingham Trent Student Union Information and Advice Service. The Information and Advice Service also provides support and representation for students who wish to use the Procedure.

This summary is not the procedure and has no legal standing.

Documents and links:

Section 17 E: Complaints Procedure for Students PDF icon

Level 1 Complaint Form (Early Resolution at Local Level)

Level 2 Complaint Form (Formal Stage)

Level 3 Complaint Form (Review Stage)


Please submit completed forms by email. You can type your answers in the PDF by following these steps:

  • Download and save the form to your computer or laptop
  • Open the form using Adobe Acrobat
  • Select "Fill & Sign" from the panel on the right, which will allow you to insert text into the form
  • Make sure you save your answers before submitting the form by email.
  • You can also print the form, fill it in by hand and sign it, scan it, and email it.

Information about the Office of the Independent Adjudicator.

Please note that the procedure for submitting complaints has changed. Any complaint submitted before 2nd October 2017 will be considered under the old regulations, any submitted on or after 2nd October 2017 will be considered under the new procedure. If you require a copy of the old regulations please email Student Complaints.