If you’re studying, working* or volunteering abroad during your course you can apply for a scholarship, funded by NTU and Santander Universities, to help with the travel, accommodation, and other costs involved in an overseas visit.
How much would I be awarded?
- £200 for travel within Europe
- £500 for travel outside of Europe
Which award can I apply for?
|International Travel Bursary||International Travel Scholarship**|
Apply for this if you are a UK undergraduate student in receipt of an NTU Bursary and/or have a combined household income of £25,000 or less (as assessed by Student Finance).
Your application will be reviewed as a priority.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis with the deadline date of 1st June.
Apply for this if:
These scholarships are competitive and applications are open in two rounds (see below).
**We are unable to award all students who apply.
Travel Scholarships application rounds
|Round||Applications open||Applications close|
Round 1= mobility must end by 31 August 2020;
1st October 2019
8th December 2019
Round 2 = departure must be before 31 December 2020.
6th January 2020
10th May 2020
Who can apply?
Fully-enrolled NTU undergraduate and postgraduate students travelling within the dates above. Students can only receive ONE Travel Bursary / Scholarship from NTU Global per academic year.
You are not eligible to apply if:
- you are a visiting/incoming exchange student;
- you are receiving any other NTU funding for this overseas experience (Erasmus+ / RISE* / funding from your School / NTU International Volunteering Scheme);
- if you graduate during or before your overseas experience;
- if you have already departed for your overseas experience – awards cannot be made retrospectively.
What can be funded?
- A study, work* or volunteering experience outside the UK:
- Exchange or study abroad schemes (semester or full-year);
- Work placements* or internships abroad which relate to / will enhance your NTU course;
- Optional course trips or study visits;
- Volunteering activities which will enhance your NTU course (excluding students receiving funding for the NTU International Volunteering Scheme – see exclusions below). Please refer to the NTU Volunteering website before choosing your volunteering organisation;
- Language courses abroad;
- Summer schools or short courses;
- Conferences and exhibitions which relate to / will enhance your NTU course.
- A period of mobility which clearly advances the international experience of the student, and benefits his/her academic studies and personal and professional development, and this is made clear in their personal statement;
- Departure for travel must take place after 1st October 2019 and before 31st December 2020;
- NTU Course Leader or Personal Tutor supported and NTU approved.
- Travel (economy only), accommodation, subsistence and other necessary costs for an overseas visit.
a) if you are travelling overseas for your formal sandwich year placement you may be eligible for a ‘RISE Sandwich Placement Bursary’
b) if you are travelling overseas for formal unpaid work experience you may be eligible for a ‘RISE Work Experience Bursary’
If you qualify for, or are awarded, a RISE Bursary you are NOT eligible to apply for a Travel Bursary/Scholarship.
You are required to upload ‘proof of travel’ (flight ticket, accommodation booking, acceptance onto your experience etc.) and download, complete and upload, our ‘end of mobility report’ which looks at how your experience benefitted you academically, personally and professionally. This report may be used to promote the travel scholarship scheme and international mobility to other students.
If you receive a Santander award you will be asked to submit a case study which will be shared with them.
How do I apply?
Click on the ‘Apply now’ button below. You will need to submit information about your overseas experience and outline how the award and your overseas experience will benefit you academically, personally and professionally.
PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOU READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS BEFORE APPLYING.
Please contact us via email or pop into one of our Global Lounges.