The Rosie May Home – Sri Lanka – Recruitment closed for 2016/17
Aim: The aim for The Rosie May Foundation University project is to provide current students and staff members with the opportunity to use and develop their skills and experience to support The Rosie May Home, a purpose built home designed to give orphaned or abandoned girls a chance, to empower them through education, ultimately allowing them to support themselves and their families in the future.
Volunteer Role: Volunteers will not only spend their time at the Rosie May Home working alongside local staff members to run extra-curricular activities to help the girls develop their English language skills, but as the girls are fortunate enough to be in full-time education, you will also supplement your time with volunteering at rural schools in the surrounding areas in the mornings.
Project location: Hikkaduwa, Sri Lanka
Project dates: 16 June – 12 July 2017 (3 weeks)
Team size: 10
The Project Costs: £1,300
- return flights to Sri Lanka
- airport transfers in the UK and Sri Lanka
- accommodation (7 days a week) and food (5 days a week)
- travel Insurance
- Nottingham Trent Volunteering T-shirt and hoody.
What isn't included?
- personal spending money, daily travel and weekend food £300
- vaccination cost as advised by your GP
- visa £20
- optional: 4 day mini adventure tour at the end of your trip – payable to Travelteer £250 (TBC).
The approximate overall cost: £1,825
Fundraising total: In addition to the project costs, each volunteer has to raise a minimum of £500 which will be donated to The Rosie May Foundation.
For more information please contact International Volunteering.
View our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's).
Please note: should the costs of flights or transfers fall below those expected, reimbursements will be made.