Resources for staff
Equality and diversity in higher education
NTU is a member of the Equality Challenge Unit (ECU). Here you will find a host of guidance and resources, publications and toolkits relating to equality and diversity in HE. If you can't find what you're looking for in the public area of the site, get in touch and we'll see if further information is available in the members-only section.
The ACAS website offers comprehensive advice, guidance, tools, publications and resources relating to employment issues, including equality and diversity-related issues.
Inclusive teaching practice
The Internet is full of resources and information regarding inclusive teaching practice. Here are a few good places to start:
- Equality and Diversity for Academics factsheets – From ECU, factsheets for academics explaining their role in promoting equality and diversity.
- Embedding Equality and Diversity in the curriculum – The Higher Education Academy has produced discipline-specific practitioner guides for academics.
- InCurriculum: an inclusive curriculum in Higher Education – Draws together resources from across the sector on inclusive approaches to teaching and learning.
- The University of Birmingham has produced excellent, practical guidance on LGBTQ Inclusivity in the HE Curriculum.
- Microsoft Office offers basic guidance on creating accessible Word documents and PowerPoint presentations.
Notable dates to observe and celebrate
Please feel free to visit or download our Diversity Calendar. This is a helpful tool for enabling staff to consider religious observance requirements when planning events such as field trips, interviews or away days. It is also useful for curriculum enrichment, highlighting notable dates throughout the year such as Black History Month and LGBT History Month.
Respect and Consent
NTU is committed to tackling sexual harassment and sexual assault on campus, and to keeping respect for others at the forefront of everything we do.
- Watch the Respect at NTU video, and show it to your students/colleagues. Embed it in inductions wherever possible.
- Find out more about the policy framework behind the Respect at NTU campaign.
- View, share or show the Nottingham Trent Students' Union Consent is Everything film.
- Find out about the information and support for students who have experienced sexual harassment or sexual assault.
- The government has asked Universities UK to set up a taskforce to tackle these issues. The NUS Hidden Marks report provides a snapshot of the harassment and violence that a national sample of women students have faced whilst they have been at their current institution.
Do you want to connect with people who share an aspect of your identity? Visit our Staff Networks section to see if there is a relevant Network currently active.