History and Heritage
History and Heritage (HHG) enjoys an international reputation for research and teaching excellence. We provide a distinctive range of courses at both undergraduate and postgraduate level which contain a unique blend of academic, practical, and vocational perspectives.
All staff are research active, publishing their work in leading international journals, monographs, textbooks, and as part of consultancy work. Projects undertaken by individual staff and research groups are closely linked to areas of teaching, ensuring that our courses are directly informed and enhanced by our research practice.
Along with a commitment to innovative teaching and a dynamic culture of research and professional practice, our team offers an inclusive, friendly and supportive environment in which to study.
Our teaching and research specialisms are diverse, and include:
- medieval, early modern, modern, and contemporary history
- urban and rural history
- the histories of science, technology and crime
- heritage, memory, commemoration, and landscape
- gender and religious history
- the Latin East, East Asia, India, Taiwan, Japan, Britain, France, Germany, Spain and Scandinavia
- the public representation of history in museums, exhibitions and through art forms
- audience development, visitor studies, and heritage interpretation
HHG has extensive professional links with a wide range of organisations. It is highly respected and widely praised for its engagement in consultancies, professional training, widening participation and partnerships with employers, taking a lead role in projects such as LEAP AHEAD that offer a wide range of educational and training opportunities. From this experience we generate a wide range of placement opportunities for undergraduate and postgraduate students together with research and consultancy opportunities for staff.
If you have any queries about our courses, please contact the Admissions team on +44 (0)115 848 4200 or Ask NTU for information on undergraduate or postgraduate courses.
To read more about specific research activities and projects in History and Heritage, please visit the research pages.
For more information about research, consultancy and postgraduate programmes coordinated through the Centre for Museum and Heritage Management, please visit the Centre’s web pages.
For staff members please see the academic staff section.
- IHR – Institute of Historical Research
- Royal Historical Society
- The Higher Education Academy: Subject Centre for History, Classics and Archaeology
- Museums Association
- East Midlands Museum Service
- Renaissance East Midlands
Head of History, Languages and International Studies
School of Arts and Humanities