We provide an excellent range of both core benefits and additional flexible benefits to all staff.
Our competitive salaries compare favourably both locally and within the sector. We undertake regular pay benchmarking, comparing University salary levels with both the Higher Education and private sector.
Our staff benefit from a generous holiday entitlement of between 28 – 40 days per year (depending upon grade) inclusive of University closure days. In additional to this you will receive statutory bank holidays.
The University offers attractive Pension Schemes to all staff via either the Local Government Pension Scheme or Teachers Pensions, to which we make a significant contribution on your behalf.
- Academics may join the Teachers' Pension Scheme (TPS).
- The Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) is open to Researchers and all Professional Services and Support staff.
Current members of the Universities Superannuation Scheme appointed to lecturing posts (including heads of teaching departments and professors), may be eligible for continued membership of USS.
Recognition of Contribution
The University values the commitment and achievement of its staff and the contribution they make towards organisational aims, and will reward you for exceptional contribution.
Recognition of Continuous Service
In certain circumstances we will count your service at other recognised institutions, such as in HE/FE within the UK, as continuous service. This means your entitlement to enhanced benefits based on length of service will be calculated taking into account service accrued at these institutions.
Personal and Professional Development
We encourage all our staff to develop their skills to get the most out of working at the University.
From courses leading to qualifications, to workshops and mentoring, we have a range of development opportunities to help our staff succeed and develop in their role. We also support staff wishing to undertake external courses and attain professional qualifications.
We are committed to developing academic practice to ensure that students are provided with quality learning experiences. We provide a range of development opportunities for those who teach and support learning:
- Professional development will be considered right from the beginning of your employment with NTU, if not before
- A supported route to achievement of Fellowship via our HEA accredited continuing professional development (CPD) framework
- Development of your academic practice at any stage of your career: whether you’re new to academia or have years’ of experience
- Seminars, writing retreats, mentoring and support for peer review of teaching
- A broad range of support for the use and application of learning technologies
- The Researcher Development Framework informs our development provision for those engaging in and developing their research
- Development for those undertaking academic management or leadership roles, such as Course Leaders
We offer a range of volunteering opportunities for both individual staff and departmental teams. These opportunities can be as diverse as helping in a school breakfast club to being a trustee of a charity, and provide staff with an opportunity to develop new skills and support our local community.
Health and Wellbeing
The health and wellbeing of our staff is a high priority and we offer a range of confidential services including face to face training and on-line advice and guidance.
We have Occupational Health Advisors who work with our staff to promote health and wellbeing at work, and offer a selection of free services including health surveillance programmes, counselling and physiotherapy. We also run regular events to deliver advice and provide a variety of health screening activities.
Our gym membership is available to staff and their family members and offers activities at both the City and Clifton Campus including:
- Unlimited use of gym and sports hall
- Free group exercise and fitness classes included Zumba, Pilates and Yoga
- Access to NTU sports clubs
- Swimming at the University of Nottingham pool
- 30ft climbing wall (City Campus)
- Sports therapy suite (City Campus)
Staff at our Brackenhurst Campus benefit from discounted membership at a local leisure centre providing similar facilities.
The University is committed to supporting the work/life balance of its staff and offers a range of employment practices to provide part time and flexible working, enabling staff to combine their work responsibilities with caring responsibilities.