We encourage all our students to consider undertaking a professional work placement as part of their studies; whether it be a year-long placement or a short-term internship. Completing a placement will enhance your learning experience and provide you with the insight and skills needed to boost your career after graduation.
Our four-year undergraduate courses allow you to take part in a one-year paid placement. If you choose to study full-time for three years then you will have the opportunity to work for a semester in your second year.
We also offer the BA (Hons) Business Management (Two Year In-Company) course whereby students spend their first year at NTU and the following two years employed full-time and studying. In addition to this we also offer BA (Hons) Business Management (One Year In-Company) where students spend their second year employed full-time while studying. Short-term internships are also a compulsory part of the BA (Hons) Marketing programme, to both full-time and placement students.
If you're interested in working overseas as part of your degree, our International Business courses provide the perfect opportunity. Our BA (Hons) International Business with French, BA (Hons) International Business with German and BA (Hons) International Business with Spanish provide students with the opportunity to complete a six month internship abroad. Placement opportunities overseas are available via the Employability Team, which are perfect for students studying on BA (Hons) International Business (four years). Overseas opportunities available through the Employability Team, are also available to all other placement students.
At postgraduate level, you can gain more experience by incorporating a placement into your course, from a short-term internship to a year-long placement, making your Masters degree into a two-year course. Those completing the full-time MBA can also choose to add a year's work placement, making your MBA into a two-year course.
Placements are a great way to put your learning into practice and gain valuable real-world experience to boost your career. We have extensive links with corporate partners who can offer placements, so we can help you find something perfect. If you're unable to take a full year's placement, but have completed at least 36 weeks, you can qualify for a Placement Diploma in Industrial Experience.
In recent years our students have worked at a range of world-renowned organisations, including:
- Nottinghamshire Police.
Year-long placement opportunities are unavailable on the MSc International Business, MSc International Business (Dual Award), MSc Management and International Publishing or MSc Entrepreneurship but there is a range of other opportunities depending on the programme, including study abroad, internship opportunities and developing your own business idea.
Benefits of a work placement
The work placement will provide you with an invaluable opportunity to get experience by engaging in business and industry practice and help develop your proposed career path.
Benefits may include:
- the development of essential personal and professional skills including confidence, communication, project and time management, team-working and problem solving
- an opportunity to gain an insight into the wider commercial aspects of business life including the management and client / company relationships
- networking opportunities
- apply practical experiences to your final year studies
- the chance to discover and test your career options
- an opportunity to acquire references which will support future job applications in a highly competitive job market.
How we help you secure a placement
We do not place you in a role - securing a placement is a student led activity. We offer a high level of support in your search and give you all the tools you need to obtain a placement. This includes:
- One-to-one appointments where we can discuss your aspirations and help you with your CV, applications and interview technique.
- Close employer relationships with over 300 companies.
- Events where you can meet company representatives or current placement students who can share their experiences.
- A dedicated student portal for placement and internship opportunities. Once logged in, you see placement vacancies that are unique own placements.
- Relevant workshops on topics such as CVs and interviews. We invite employers in to help in activities such as mock interviews and assessment days which are great experience for the real thing.
- Online resources and a programme of workshops with information, hints and tips, websites and news items linked to placements that are updated weekly.
When you are on placement you will have contact from us during the year. If your placement is in the UK, you will have a visit from an academic tutor and come back to the University for a recall day. If your placement is abroad, you will have catch-up sessions over the year with your tutor. These might be phone calls, web conferences or even visits. Should you wish to use them, you will also have access to all the University facilities and we are on hand to provide help or advice at any point during the year.
Applying for a placement
We encourage you to start thinking about the placement year during your first year at university. This is an ideal time to review your CV and fill in any gaps if you lack relevant work experience or need to develop outside interests. For further information download our sandwich work placement guide and our overseas sandwich work placement guide .
Employability Team details:
- 9 am - 5 pm Monday - Thursday
- 9 am - 4.30 pm Friday
Business Placements: +44 (0)115 848 2353
To speak to a careers advisor please telephone: +44 (0)115 848 8638