Research degrees

We offer opportunities to study for a Master of Philosophy (MPhil) or Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in all of our academic schools, as well as other research degree qualifications, including the DBA and Professional Doctorates.

Find out more about research opportunities in each of our Schools:

Find out more about our DBA and other Professional Doctorates:

Our world-class research has earned us a Queen's Anniversary Prize for Higher and Further Education – the highest national honour for a UK university.

Our research is recognised and funded by research councils and other external bodies. We also offer research studentships for full-time MPhil / PhD study, which are awarded competitively each year. We will emphasise the development of skills, networks and knowledge, to help you build successful careers.

As you work on your research you will be given the support you need, such as:

  • expert supervision from an experienced researcher
  • a well-chosen programme of supporting studies and training
  • pastoral and administrative support.

By studying for a research degree you will examine a specific field in-depth, usually over two or three years, and write up your research in the form of a thesis or dissertation. Then you will take an oral examination (viva) conducted by specialists in your field of research.

An MPhil / PhD is not structured like a postgraduate taught course. You won't attend lectures or classes, or follow specific modules. You will work independently in order to critically investigate and evaluate your research topic, and you will need to carefully assess the research opportunities available in your chosen area. 

A Professional Doctorate is structured around a series of documents, each of which is supported by an attendance workshop. This blends classroom attendance and research with the same level of independent work and critical analysis as the MPhil / PhD.

Information about applying, fees and funding

Contact our Doctoral School for more information


Morledge construction building
knitted switches