The Sport Science team addresses contemporary issues within sport, exercise and physical activity, specialising in the following topics:
- Exercise in Extreme Environments
- The Science of Team Sports
- Respiratory Physiology
- Sport Psychology
- Clinical Human Movement
- Communication and Influence
Our undergraduate and postgraduate courses take a reality-based approach to education where you are encouraged to put theory into practice. We provide you with multiple opportunities for hands-on learning through innovative teaching methods, lab work, industry placements and consultancy.We have extensive organisational networks which support our degrees and enhance your experience. We collaborate with partners such as UK Sport, the Ministry of Defence, Gatorade Sports Science Institute and EA Sports to give you industry-relevant experience.
Sport Science Facilities
Our facilities are world-class and, most importantly, you will get regular and significant access to them. Because our courses were developed by listening to our sport, exercise and health networks, no matter which degree you choose, you will develop a range of transferable skills desirable in a variety of professional contexts. The team has access to impressive facilities which include:
- A British Olympic Association-approved environmental chamber
- Performance analysis and nutrition suites
- Biomechanics and exercise physiology labs
- A sport and leisure management suite
- A sport and exercise psychology lab
All of this means that you will be ready for the job of your dreams, whether that’s in the sport sector or beyond. Don’t just take our word for it. Our graduate employability rates are amongst the very best in the country. Take a look at our Sport Science undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
Example collaborations include:
- English Institute of Sport
- University of Sao Paolo
- University of Reading
Currently we have strong partnerships with many local and national sports clubs, councils and sporting bodies, providing us with research and development projects, placement and employment opportunities for our undergraduate and postgraduate students. Together, we ensure that our courses give our students the right skills for a career in the sports industry and that our scientific research and expertise positively benefits the sporting community.
- SHAPE: Our purpose is to improve your performance in ways that are timely, efficient, effective and healthy. Our team of sports scientists, sports psychologists, nutritionists and management specialists are experienced at working with and improving the performance of sports men and women at all levels, as well as individuals, departments and organisations from within the public and corporate sectors. Quite simply, we are committed to demonstrating and making available our expertise in ways that are most relevant and accessible to you.
- Business innovation: We work with lots of external businesses and provide our knowledge, expertise and facilities to aid them to solve problems and grow.
Exercise and Health sciences encompass research within selected themes that reflect the expertise within the academic team, but which often involve interdisciplinary collaboration. Current research activity includes:
- extreme environmental performance analysis, including heat and altitude research
- physical activity in young people
- joint stability and neuromechanical performance
- respiratory physiology and inspiratory muscle training
- sport and leisure management
- attribution training and sport confidence.
At the heart of the SHAPE team are sports scientists, sports psychologists, nutritionists and management specialists.
Our areas of applied expertise and research include:
- exercise in extreme environments
- the science of team sports
- respiratory physiology
- sport psychology
- communication and influence
- applying sports coaching skills to business.
We also work collaboratively with university colleagues from a range of associated disciplines including Law, Education and Equestrian Sports.