Dyslexia support

Nottingham Trent University is committed to providing a fully inclusive learning environment for all students. The Dyslexia Support Team offers advice and support to students with Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLDs) such as dyslexia, dyspraxia and ADHD. This support enables you to develop relevant skills and strategies over the course of your time at University, and to support you in achieving your full learning potential while studying here and in your future career. The team of experienced professionals understand the many positives of SpLDs, and the areas where assistance may be useful to allow you to make the most of your university studies.

We offer advice on:

  • Applying for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) to fund your support
  • DSA funded Specialist One to One Study Skills Support
  • How to access generic support within NTU e.g. Library Study Support
  • How to implement reasonable adjustments as recommended in your evidence (e.g. extra time in exams)
  • Diagnostic evidence requirements


What do I need to tell the NTU Dyslexia Support Team before I begin my studies?
We want to make sure that all our students get the most from university life. By telling us about your SpLD as early as possible, we can identify any support that you might need. Ideally, tell us about your SpLD on your UCAS application form or NTU application. You're not obliged to tell us about your SpLD, but if you choose not to, you may not be able to access the full range of support available.

What formal evidence of my Specific Learning Difficulty (SpLD) will I need?
We will require formal evidence of your Specific Learning Difficulty in order to put exam adjustments or one to one support in place. We will require this evidence before the start of your course. Please forward your documentation to us even if you are awaiting exam results.
For dyslexia, this will be a photocopy of a full diagnostic assessment written by a qualified assessor who holds an approved qualification and is either:

  • A Specialist Teacher Assessor holding a current SpLD Assessment Practising Certificate (APC) OR
  • A Practitioner Psychologist registered with the HCPC

Dyspraxia and ADHD may be assessed by medical professionals, in which case we will need written confirmation from them of the diagnosis, and a clear indication of the impact on your studies.

What if I do not have a formal evidence of my Specific Learning Difficulty?
You will need to obtain a formal diagnosis, as stated above, before you enrol at NTU. This is to enable us to put your support in place before you start your course. If you require guidance regarding the assessment required by Student Finance for an application for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs), please look at the SASC website or the DirectGov website. If you require further advice about your documentation, we recommend that you contact us to discuss this further. If you are a current student, please attend an Advice Session to discuss evidence requirements.

International students
If you are an international student with an SpLD, please provide us with a copy in English of a full, recent, professional assessment report, as soon as possible after accepting a place on your course. We can then consider any recommendations in the assessment report.

How do I set up my exam adjustments?
When you forward your documentation to the Dyslexia Support Team, you must specify the exam recommendations you would like as outlined in your evidence. We are unable to include recommendations that are not detailed in your evidence. Please be aware that the NTU Exams Team observe deadlines for notification of students requiring additional exam arrangements such as extra time in exams. If you require additional exam arrangements you must forward evidence to support this. Any adjustments recommended after published exam deadlines will not be implemented until the following exam period. Further information is available on our exam pages

How do I forward my evidence to the NTU Dyslexia Support Team?
Please scan and email your documentation to dyslexia.support@ntu.ac.uk. Alternatively, please post your documentation to the following address: 

Dyslexia Support Team
Student Support Services
Nottingham Trent University
50 Shakespeare Street

If you are a current student, you can hand your documentation into the Enquiry Desks at:

  • Student Services Centre, Central Court, Newton Arkwright, City Campus
  • Student Services Centre, Clifton Campus
  • Bramley Building Reception, Brackenhurst Campus

Please include your most recent mobile number and email address.

What will happen once I forward my evidence to the Dyslexia Support Team?
The SpLD Specialists will review your diagnostic assessment report. We will share a summary of appropriate recommendations, including exam adjustments, with relevant areas of the University. This document is called an Access Statement. We will send a copy of your Access Statement to your NTU email. Please see the information below about how we hold and process your personal data.  

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) to fund your support
DSAs are intended to cover any additional support you may need while you are studying, including one to one support. Find out information on how to apply for DSAs.

Are you an existing student experiencing difficulties on your course?
The academic challenge of University can sometimes highlight difficulties that you have not experienced before. You may have experienced difficulties with spelling, composing assignments, or reading academic texts. However, difficulties in these areas do not necessarily mean you are dyslexic. To support your learning there are a number of resources that we recommend. See self-help resources.

To find out more information about dyslexia, or other SpLDs such as dyspraxia or ADHD, please look at the following websites:

If you continue to experience difficulties, and want further advice, please attend an Advice Session with a Dyslexia Specialist. View the current Advice Session timetable.

Contact us

Telephone: +44 (0)115 848 4120

We welcome comments to improve our service. If you have feedback with any aspect of the service you receive from the Dyslexia Support Team, please let us know.

Student Data Protection Notice

NTU is a Data Controller under the General Data Protection Regulation (Regulation (EU) 2016/679)) (the GDPR).  By providing information to the University, including information of a sensitive nature with regard to any specific learning difficulties which you believe may affect your studies, you are consenting for such information to be used to enable the University to provide advice, guidance and services to you. The University will hold, use and process any personal data (including special category personal data) and information about you that you share with us. By accepting an offer, you are consenting to the University processing your personal data, including special category personal data, for the effective administration of your studies, including administration of examinations, sharing of access needs and reasonable adjustments.

For more information view our our privacy notice, which explains what types of information will be gathered about you as a student, and how this information will be used.


Student recieving support
A student chatting