1. Am I a disabled student?
You are a disabled student if you have a long-term medical condition or impairment. This could be:

  • physical (for example, a restricted mobility)
  • sensory
  • a visual impairment
  • a hidden disability for example diabetes, Autistic Spectrum Conditions or epilepsy. 

It could also include mental health difficulties and specific learning difficulties like dyslexia.

If your disability has an impact on your life at university (for example, taking exams, accessing buildings, taking notes, using the library) you may be eligible for support. 

2. Should I visit or attend an open day?
Yes, this is your opportunity for you to visit us and discuss your requirements. An early visit allows us to assess your needs and support you to apply for funding to ensure a successful start to your university experience. If you need specific support for a visit to the University, for instance, information in different formats, or the services of a British Sign Language (BSL) interpreter you can email us in advance of your visit.

3. What kind of support does the University provide?
There is a wide range of support available, including:

  • assistive technology to support your study
  • note taking during lectures
  • BSL interpreters
  • one-to-one study skills support
  • mentoring support for students with Autistic Spectrum Conditions
  • extended loans in the library
  • alternative exam arrangements
  • accessible accommodation
  • parking.

If you want to find out more, please email us.

4. Do I have to pay for my support?
If you have support needs, you can apply for the Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA). This is an important source of funding that disabled students, including those with mental health difficulties and specific learning difficulties may be entitled to receive. DSA can cover the costs of additional needs associated with being at university. It is not means-tested, and it does not have to be repaid once you have completed your course.

5. What are Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA)?
The Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA) are a vital source of support for disabled students. This funding is administered by Student Finance England or relevant funding bodies in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. DSAs can cover the costs of additional needs associated with being at university. This funding is not means-tested and it does not have to be repaid once you have completed your course.

Disabled Students' Allowances can cover the costs of:

  • equipment (for example, assistive software)
  • non-medical support workers (for example, notetakers, BSL interpreters and mentors)
  • general allowances (for example, extra costs of books and photocopying)
  • a travel allowance for people who cannot use public transport or have mobility difficulties.

6. How do I apply for DSA?
Visit the Directgov website for information about eligibility and how to apply. The application process can take time. It is important that you complete the application as soon as possible, to ensure that any funding is in place for the start of your course.

7. I've had permission to arrange a study needs assessment/top-up assessment. What do I do now?
Please see the Assessment Centre FAQs. We have an Assessment centre at Nottingham Trent University and you should telephone +44 (0)115 848 3495 to organise an appointment. Alternatively, visit the DSA website to search for an Assessment centre in the UK.

8. I need support in lectures. Who do I contact?
We would like to talk to you about the type of support you need. You should email Disability Admissions or telephone +44 (0)115 848 2085.

What do I do if I can't attend a lecture or exams due to my disability?
You should contact your personal tutor or the School office. If you use a note taker, email the Disability Support Worker Scheme, text +44 (0)777 575 4443 or telephone +44 (0)115 848 4366.

10. How do I ensure my accommodation needs are met?
If you have a disability, or need special consideration because of a medical condition or exceptional circumstances, Student Accommodation Services can help. We offer a number of accessible rooms with features to assist a range of requirements.

Have a look at our study with us section for more information on the accommodation we have available.

If you are a disabled student who requires personal full-time assistance, we can also offer residential accommodation for your helper. We may ask you for supporting information from your doctor before allocating you an accessible room.

The online booking process for accommodation usually starts around Spring time and accommodation becomes booked very quickly. You should check our accommodation website for details of when to book and also to access the online booking system

11. What parking is available at NTU?
Parking at the City Campus is very limited. However, if you are a Blue Badge holder or need to bring your car to the University because of your medical condition, we may be able to provide a parking space. Parking is not guaranteed and will be allocated on a first come first served basis. For further information, please email Disability Admission Referrals.

12. Accessibility. What's it like getting round campus?

  • The Clifton campus is completely self-contained and compact. It slopes gently in places, but is generally accessible. If you need to move between campuses, there is a low-floor accessible bus service between the City Campus and Clifton Campus during term time.
  • Brackenhurst Campus is a rural campus with walkways, but some rough tracks.
  • The City Campus is on a slight slope.

We would strongly recommend you visit us and your campus before starting your course. We will be very happy to discuss your access needs.

13. My disability prevents me from attending university sometimes. What happens then?

  • Have you discussed this with a disability officer in advance so that we can inform your course team?
  • Out of courtesy, where possible, inform your subject administrator that you are unable to attend.
  • If you are already getting support from the Disability Support Worker Scheme (DSWS) and you cannot attend a teaching session, then you should contact the DSWS to let them know.

Students using the Notetaking Service

1. Will my support be the same as at my previous college / school / university?

There will be some differences as you will be expected to engage with the services in a way which you may not have done previously. For instance:

  • We will rely on you to let us know when and where you require support on a weekly basis.
  • You will not have the same notetaker for all of your sessions, although we will try to send the same person for the same subject each week. You will usually be required to meet this person after lectures to collect your notes and to confirm your attendance.

2. Can I get support for when I need to work in the library?
We provide support workers who can assist with:

  • finding books for you
  • getting books down from shelves if you cannot do this yourself
  • reading information from text books for you
  • taking notes which you have dictated to them.

You should mention that you may need this service when you have your assessment.