Physical and sensory support

The Disability Support Service offers advice and information for individual current and prospective disabled students on the types of support available.

We can liaise with University Academic Schools, services and outside agencies and help to coordinate any additional requirements you may have. We can give assistance with funding for your support needs and other financial support issues including:

  • Disabled Students' Allowances
  • advice on any special grants for which you may be eligible
  • advice on funding for support with day-to-day living needs (this can include any personal care or help you may require)

Personal support

Going to university may mean you have to reassess your personal assistance arrangements, especially if you normally receive help with mobility and everyday tasks from family members. However, Local Authority Social Services should provide you with the support you need.

Paying for your personal support

You can choose to have direct payments to buy services that meet your assessed needs instead of receiving services directly provided by social services.

What if I'm not happy with the service?

Please talk to your disability support officer or Disability Support administrator first. If you would then like to make a formal complaint, please write to the Student Support Services (Disability Services) Manager at the Student Services Centre at the City Campus.

Contact the Disability Support Service
Telephone: +44 (0)115 848 2085

A sight impaired student at the Student Services Centre helpdesk
Student in wheelchair accessing Boots Library
Notetaking service