Other hardship funds

The University's Student Financial Support Service administers a number of other hardship funds for students.

Summer Vacation Fund

The University has set aside limited funds primarily to assist non-final year undergraduate students who are unable to work over the summer vacation period due to illness or disability. The Fund can also assists lone parents with dependent children during the period when there is no benefit entitlement. Please note, due to the limitations of the fund we are unable to cover all living costs.

Applications will open for students to apply to the Summer Vacation Fund in April 2018. Payments will not be made until the end of term. 

If you think you may be eligible, you can contact the fund administrators by email or on +44 (0)115 848 6135/2521. You may also find our additional information for students with children  PDF icon helpful. 

Funding Delay Loans

If you are experiencing delays with your Student Finance payments and you have exhausted all other possible sources of funding, you may qualify for limited funding from the Emergency Loan Fund. To qualify for funding you must meet the following criteria:

  • You must have submitted an application and all the necessary documentation to your national Student Finance Service
  • You must be actively chasing your National Student Finance service to secure your funds
  • You must have exhausted all other possible sources of funding (including overdraft facilities and loans from family)

This loan will cover your basic food and travel needs. You will need to speak with one of our advisers to check the reason and likely length of the delay. Our advisers will assess your needs during the period until your funding arrives. Please be aware that all loans will need to be repaid immediately upon receipt of Student Finance Funding.

Advisers are available at the City Newton Student Services Centre and Clifton Student Centre and Brackenhurst Student centre. Email: financial support or telephone +44 (0)115 848 2494.

Further Education (FE) Hardship Funds

The University is usually allocated limited funding each year to assist further education students with travel and other course-related expenses (including childcare for those aged 20 and over and accommodation costs for those aged 19 and over who have relocated in order to study). These funds are allocated during the Autumn Term and further information and details of how to apply are available on our FE student funding page.

Email us if you need further information on the funding available or find out more about FE student funding.