What is it?

A Professional and Career Development Loan (PCDL) is intended to support your studies. You make an agreement with a participating bank to borrow an amount between £300 and £10,000 then pay it back once you've stopped studying.

The Government pays the interest on the loan while you're studying and for one month afterwards. You will pay interest at the fixed rate when you have finished studying.

The scheme is closing, you must apply by 25 January 2019 in order to be considered for a loan.

Am I eligible?

If you would like to apply for a Professional and Career Development Loan you will need to be:

  • 18 or over
  • settled* in the UK, and have been ordinarily resident in the UK for at least the three years prior to the start of your learning programme
  • intending to work in the UK, the EU or the EEA when the course finishes.

* Settled means that you have either indefinite leave to enter or remain, or have the right of abode in the UK.

Your application approval decision remains with the bank even if you meet these conditions. You will need to meet their specific lending criteria.

Is my course eligible?

You will find detailed information in the application pack, but in general the PCDL is used for:

  • a postgraduate course, like a Masters
  • technical or management training
  • a professional qualification
  • a course at your local college or learning provider
  • an additional Bachelors degree (if you're already a graduate).

What costs can the loan help with?

You can use a Professional and Career Development Loan to help with:

  • course fees (up to 80% of the total, or up to 100% if you've been unemployed for three months)
  • other course costs, like books, travel and childcare
  • living expenses, like rent, food and clothing (if you are unemployed or working less than 30 hours per week).

You cannot get a PDCL if:

  • You are doing a full-time undergraduate course and are entitled to government grants and loans.
  • You are studying a Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL), as this course can lead to the Legal Practice Course (LPC) or Bar Vocational Course (BVC).

For more information, please visit the GOV.UK website.

Course Start Notification Form

NTU is a registered learning provider with the Education and Skills Funding Agency. Our Learner Provider Number is 4944.

If you are approved for a Professional and Career Development Loan, you will be issued with a Course Start Notification Form that the University will need to complete, verifying your attendance on the course.

You will need to present this form to your subject administrator. Please note that they will not be able to complete this until after you have commenced your studies.

Further information

You can contact the Student Financial Support Service on +44 (0)115 848 2494 or by email to find out more about Professional and Career Development Loans.