Postgraduate scholarships

If you are considering, or have already applied for, a postgraduate course with any of the below schools, you will be interested to know that there are a number of competitive scholarships available for UK and EU students.

For further information and an application form, please visit the relevant School website:

25% postgraduate discount for current students and recent alumni

Current undergraduate students, and alumni who have graduated in the last five years can get a 25% discount on postgraduate course fees. Please note that some courses are not included in our 25% discount. Visit the School websites for more information.

International Scholarships Scheme

We are pleased to offer a range of scholarships for International students beginning a full-time Masters course in January 2018. Please note that you may only be awarded one NTU scholarship. You may apply for more than one scholarship, or you may be offered an alternative scholarship if you do not get your first choice.

Postgraduate Student Loans

Postgraduate loans from Student Finance England

The UK Government provides postgraduate loans of up to £10,280, which are paid directly to you to help you pay for your tuition fees and living costs. Unlike undergraduate funding, household income is not taken in to consideration. If you are studying over two or more academic years, you’ll get half of your loan in your first year and the rest in your second year.

You may be eligible for this loan if you:
• are under 60 on the first day of the first academic year of your course
• are a UK national and normally live in England, and have lived in the UK or Islands for three years before starting your course or;
• are an EU national living in England on the first day of your course, and have been ordinarily resident in the EEA or Switzerland for three years before the start of your course
• will be studying a full-time course lasting one-to-two years or;
• will be studying a two-to-four year part-time course that is no longer than twice the length of the full-time equivalent course (or a three-year part-time course where there is no full-time equivalent)
• don't already have a Masters, equivalent or higher qualification

You will have to repay this loan, but only after you have finished your course and after you are earning more than £21,000 per year. Then you will pay it back at a rate of 6% of any income you earn over £21,000. You will not start your repayments until April 2019, however. If you also have an undergraduate student loan to repay, you will make both repayments at the same time.
You can find out more about repaying your student finance via the student loan repayment website.

Applying for a postgraduate loan

You can apply for a postgraduate loan online or by post. If you already have a Student Finance England account, you can apply using your existing log-in details. Applications for postgraduate loans open in the Spring.
You find out more, including further details on eligibility, via the GOV UK website.


Postgraduate loans from Student Finance Wales

Loans of up to £10,280 are now available for students who are domiciled in Wales. You can find out more from Student Finance Wales

Postgraduate loans from Student Awards Agency Scotland

Loans of up to £10,000 are now available for students who are domiciled in Scotland. You can find out more from Student Awards Agency Scotland.

Postgraduate loans from Student Finance Northern Ireland

Postgraduate Tuition Fee Loans have been introduced for students domiciled in Northern Ireland. You can find out more from Student Finance Northern Ireland website.

Professional and Career Development Loans

Professional and Career Development Loans are bank loans to pay for courses and training that help with your career or help get you into work. You may be able to borrow between £300 and £10,000.

Loans are usually offered at a reduced interest rate and the government pays interest while you're studying.

Educational Trusts and Charities

The Leverhulme Trade Charities Trust's Postgraduate Bursaries are designed to provide support for eligible UK students undertaking any full-time postgraduate degree course. Funds are intended for students who are experiencing financial hardship.

There are further educational trusts and charities that make individual awards to students. Standard lists of these can be found in most public libraries. Useful publications include:

  • The Charities Digest
  • The Directory of Grant Making Trusts
  • The Educational Grants Directory
  • The Grants Register.

Other funding opportunities

Apart from the sources already mentioned, postgraduate studies at NTU are also funded by a variety of external organisations including governmental agencies, charities and industry.

Further information about funding can also be found on the following websites:

NTU PhD Studentships, Grant Funded PhD Studentships and research bursaries

As part of our continued commitment to investing in research, the University is offering up to 75 fully-funded PhD studentships for 2017 entry.
The University also receives funding for PhD studentships throughout the year, and these are advertised regularly on the NTU Doctoral School website.

On top of these opportunities, many of our Schools offer their own bursaries for research students, either for tuition fees only or with a tax free maintenance allowance.

Arts & Humanities Research Council (AHRC) funding for UK / EU Arts and Humanities students

We’re part of the Midlands3Cities Doctoral Training Partnership funded by the AHRC. The scheme is offering 410 PhD studentships across the Midlands to excellent PhD students in the arts and humanities over a five-year period.

University Alliance Doctoral Training Alliance

We’re part of the doctoral training alliance in Applied Biosciences for Health, a new postgraduate training initiative. This will offer students fully-funded research opportunities, access to excellent research, expert support and employment opportunities.
For more information postgraduate research funding opportunities, please visit our NTU Doctoral School website.

Research councils

Public funding for postgraduate students in the UK is mainly provided by research councils. Most research councils do not make awards directly to students, but instead to the university. Your school will be able to provide more information.

Further information

You can contact the Student Financial Support Service on +44 (0)115 848 2494 or by email to find out more on postgraduate funding.