EU students

The information on this page is for EU students who are funding by Student Finance England. 

EU Referendum

We have put together answers to some frequently asked questions that cover what we know at the moment. We will keep these updated as we receive more information. If you have any specific questions about how the referendum result will affect your studies, please contact our International Development Office.

On the 21st April 2017, the Government confirmed that EU students would continue to remain eligible for funding if they commenced their studies up to, and including, the 2018/19 academic year. This means that funding would remain in place until completition of the course - even if it concludes after the UK has left the EU. If you have any questions regarding EU funding, please contact the Student Financial Support Service on +44 (0)115 848 2494 or via email.

Tuition Fees

The amount of tuition fee you have to pay may vary depending on which year you started your course, and whether you are studying a Bachelors degree or Foundation degree. 

Please see out tuition fees page for further information.

Student Funding

As an EU student, you may be able to apply for a tuition fee loan to cover the cost of tuition fees. The tuition fee loan is not means tested, this means that your eligibility is not dependant on your household income. You do not have to repay these loans until after you leave university and are earning more than a certain amount.

You will find detailed information about your student funding entitlement on You may also find the following pages useful:

Can I get any financial assistance towards my living costs?

The only assistance usually available to EU students from the UK government is in respect of tuition fees. It may be possible to be considered a 'home' student if: 

  • you have lived in the UK for five years prior to starting your course (three years if you applied for your first year's student finance prior to 25th March 2016)
  • you are a student from the European Economic Area (EEA) and are working, or are a 'family member' of someone working in the UK.

Other assistance may be available from your home education authority, so you should approach them directly to see what support they could offer. If you would like further information on your eligibility for home student funding, please visit for further information or contact the Student Financial Support Service.

If you have lived outside the EEA during the past three years, you may be classed as an international student. In this case you may be subject to international fees and will not be eligible for support with fees or living costs from the UK Government.

If you are unsure how your residence will be treated for fees and funding, we would urge you to seek advice from the Student Financial Support Service. Further information is also available on the UKCISA website.

Further information

The EU Customer Services Team within the Student Loans Company is responsible for processing the tuition fee loan. Please visit to find out how to apply.

You can arrange to pay your fees direct to the University if you choose not to take a tuition fee loan at all. You have the option of doing this in three equal instalments, if the total you choose to pay direct to the University is £500 or more. See our paying your fees pages for details on how to pay your fees.

If you have any queries about funding for the next academic year, please contact the Student Financial Support Service on +44 (0)115 848 2494 or via email.