Applying for a Tier 4 Visa outside the UK

Applicants from outside the EU / EEA who wish to study on a full-time course of more than six months in the UK will need to apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa in order to study at Nottingham Trent University. If you are currently overseas, you will need to obtain a Tier 4 visa before travelling to the UK.

When should I apply for my Tier 4 visa from overseas?

You can make your Tier 4 visa application a maximum of three months before your course start date. The earliest your visa can start is one month before your course start date.

You must meet the conditions of your offer and get a CAS number before being able to apply. You must also make sure that you have prepared the relevant documents and meet the maintenance requirement.

What do I need to make my visa application?

As part of your application, you must provide identity documents and evidence that you meet the Tier 4 visa requirements. You must prepare all the relevant documents before submitting your visa application. Please be aware that if any of the documents do not meet the UKVI requirements, your application is likely to be refused. All documents must be original – photocopies are not accepted.


You will need to enter your CAS number in the online application form. 

Please see our website for more information about how to get a CAS number

Photos and passports

You will need:

  • Two photographs (Please see the UKVI photo guidance for more information about the requirements for the photographs).
  • Current passport + previous passports if you have used to travel to the UK
  • Biometric Residence Permit (if applicable)
Financial evidence

You will need to provide financial evidence showing you have saved the following amount for at least 28 days*:

  • Outstanding tuition fees for the first year of your course
  • Living costs: £1,015 per month of the course, up to a maximum of 9 months (maximum amount: £9,135)

* UKVI requirements for financial evidence are very strict - check our guidance on financial evidence for Tier 4 visa PDF icon carefully to check that your document is suitable

Evidence used to obtain your CAS

You will need to provide: 

  • Original certificates / transcripts as listed in the evidence used to obtain offer section of your CAS.
  • An ATAS certificate PDF icon if required.
Additional evidence (if applicable)

You may also need to provide:

  • Tuberculosis (TB) Clearance Certificate (Please check the UKVI website for the full list of countries where this requirement applies).
  • Translations (any documents which were not issued in English must be accompanied by a professional translation. Read our guidance note PDF icon for more details.
An international student studying
A group of international students in Boots library