Travelling outside the UK

Many international students may wish to travel to other countries during their time at NTU for a variety of purposes; including tourism, conferences and course trips.

Before travelling abroad, it is useful to find out:

  • whether you need a visa to enter the country of your destination and any other countries you are passing through on your journey
  • about the visa requirements and the application procedure relevant to each country you wish to visit.

International Student Support Service staff are not able to assist with checking visa applications for other countries, but we hope that the information listed on this page will provide some resources which you can use to find out more about getting a visa for your chosen destination.

Study Abroad

As an international student, you are encouraged to take up opportunities to study abroad as part of your course at NTU. Please read our guidance for specific information for tier 4 students wishing to study abroad.

Schengen visa scheme

The Schengen visa scheme enables non-EEA nationals to visit 25 participating countries in the European Economic Area using only one visa.

You can find out more about this scheme by reading our Schengen visas guidance note PDF icon , which provides basic advice about the method of application and documents required. For the most up-to-date and accurate information about applying for a visa for your chosen country, we recommend that you look at the website of the country's embassy in the UK.

US visas

Unless you are eligible to travel to the USA visa-free under the  Visa Waiver Programme, international students wishing to visit the USA will need to apply for a visa prior to travel.

You can find out more about how to get a US visa to travel to the USA in our US visas guidance note PDF icon . Extensive information on the application process and requirements is available on the US Embassy's website.

Leaving and Re-entering the UK

Before you leave the UK, you should check the expiry date of both your passport and your UK visa. If your permission to stay in the UK is due to expire before you plan to return, please take advice from the International Student Support Service before you leave. You should carry the following documents with you in your hand luggage:

  • Passport or travel document
  • Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)
  • Your police registration certificate (if applicable)
  • An up-to-date letter from your School administrative office confirming you are enrolled on a full time course at Nottingham Trent University.