Which visa?

Students who come from outside of the European Union, European Economic Area or Switzerland must demonstrate that they have valid immigration permission which allows them to study at NTU.

Depending of what type of visa you have, you may not be able to enrol and start your studies until you have made a Tier 4 visa application using a CAS assigned by NTU.

In all cases, you must provide copies of your visa and passport, or evidence that you have made the correct visa application, before you will be able to enrol on your course and start your studies.

If the type of visa you hold is not listed below, or if you are unsure if your current immigration permission allows you to study at NTU please email the International Student Support Service for further guidance. EU/EEA students should refer to our dedicated webpage for more information about their status


Type of visaCan be used to start studies at NTU?Action required
Tier 4 visa obtained using a CAS from NTUYesNone
Tier 4 Student visa obtained using a CAS from a different institution.NoMake a Tier 4 visa application using a CAS from NTU
Short Term Student VisaYes (but only if your course can be completed before the expiry date of your visa)None*
Standard Visitor visaNoLeave the UK and apply for a Tier 4 visa from overseas using a CAS from NTU, or apply for a Short Term Student Visa (if appropriate for your course) from overseas
Dependant visaYesNone*
Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 5 or work permitYesNone, but you should also be working in the UK*

*If you are thinking about studying on your existing immigration permission, you should check that you have enough time to complete your course. Depending on the type of immigration permission that you hold, it may not be possible to apply to extend your immigration permission in the UK if you need more time for your studies. Please email us if you require further guidance on this.