Welcome and induction event for new external examiners
As a new external examiner you will be invited to attend a welcome and induction event at which you will be introduced to Nottingham Trent University's (NTU) quality assurance systems and your role and responsibilities as an external examiner.
The main aims of the event are:
- to raise awareness of the University's external examiner policy
- to understand the duties of the external examiner at NTU
- to provide an opportunity for discussion of aspects of the external examiner's role
- to discuss external examiner issues at a local course / subject level.
Events for 2018 took place on 24 January and 7 March. View the presentation and documentation used at the event.
Events for 2019 have been provisionally arranged for:
- 6 March 2019 at the City Campus (for those courses based in the Schools of Law; Business; Social Sciences (apart from Education courses that are based at the Clifton campus); Architecture Design and the Built Environment and the School of Art and Design also for Journalism courses that are within the School of Arts & Humanities)
- 3 April 2019 at the Clifton Campus (for those courses based in the Schools of Arts & Humanities (apart from Journalism that is based at the city site); Animal, Rural and Environmental Sciences and the School of Science & Technology also for Education courses that are within the School of Social Sciences);
Validation Service external examiners (collaborative partnerships) may register for either event although external examiners at Nottingham College are encouraged to register for the event held on 6 March 2019.
Please register for either event using the external examiner induction booking form. We encourage our externals to register for the event where their subject is based if however this is not possible then please register for the most convenient date.
The programme for the events starts at 10.15 am with registration and coffee followed by the welcome by a senior member of NTU. The programme then continues with three distinct sessions:
- The first session will be a central University event with a focus on University policy.
- The second session will focus on School level policies and processes eg. Board of Examiners and Annual Monitoring and will be followed by lunch.
- The third session will be with the course team within the School and will focus on the practicalities of the external examiner's role in more detail. The relevant School will contact you nearer the time to confirm arrangements for the afternoon session and estimated finish time.
The University values the contribution of external examiners to its quality processes and will be able to arrange and pay for accommodation for the night before the event (if externals examiners are unable to arrive for the 10.15am start). Unfortunately the University is not in a position to arrange travel however we will reimburse you for travel expenses, you will be given an expenses claim form at the induction event.