Useful information


If you are in a hall of residence you will find that a basic level of insurance is included in your rent. If you want to cover electrical or other valuable items then we advise you to take out additional insurance. If you are in private landlord accommodation or lodgings then you will need to arrange your own contents insurance.

Council Tax

If you are living in a property occupied only by full-time students then you are exempt from paying council tax. If you share with anyone who is not a full-time student then as a household you will have to pay some council tax. Find out more about Council Tax exemption.

TV Licence

All students who watch or record TV programmes as they are being shown (regardless of whether this is on a TV, computer or mobile device) must have a valid TV licence. You can pay online or set up a direct debit on the TV Licensing website.

TV Licensing refund for students

If you are moving back home for the summer from university and no longer need a TV Licence over the holidays, and there are three full calendar months before your licence expires, you are entitled to a refund for the unused, quarter of your licence.

You will need to ensure you buy a licence early on, by the end of September / early October, in order to allow enough time at the end of the academic year to qualify for a refund. The refund on a TV Licence bought after April 2010 will be around £37.

If you wish to arrange a refund or would like further information visit TV Licensing or call on 0300 790 6090.

How do I report a problem in halls?

In the first instance get in touch with either your Residence Manager or Warden. If you still need some help please contact us in the Student Accommodation Services office. Or if you stay in University managed residences and have any repairs or complaints please use our maintenance form.

What do I do if I have a problem with a landlord?

If you have been unable to resolve the issue with your landlord directly please don't hesitate to get in touch with the Accommodation Service. We are here to help and support you and can offer advice on any type of accommodation issue.

How do I find out more?

Contact Student Accommodation Services or visit our Accommodation message boards to chat to other students in University accommodation.