General FAQs

What should I deposit?
As part of the NTU Publications Policy PDF icon , academic staff are required to deposit where copyright allows, the following research outputs into the Institutional Repository (IRep):

  • Journal articles and conference proceedings with an ISSN
    • Deposit as soon after the point of acceptance as possible and no later than three months after this date.  
    • Authors must provide the accepted and final peer-reviewed text and are expected to add embargo details for the journal following a check on SHERPA/RoMEO.  
    • Following publication of the output, the depositing author is responsible for updating the record in IRep with full bibliographic details, including the date of publication.  This needs to happen as soon as possible after the point of publication and no later than one month after this date. 
  • Book chapters and monographs that report original research
    • Deposit as soon as possible after the point of the publication and no later than three months after this date.
  • Practice-based outputs 
    • Deposit supporting digital content illustrating the nature of the work as soon after the point of publication as possible and no later than three months after this date.  
  • Bibliographic details of all other research outputs should be deposited in IRep. 


Benefits of depositing in IRep

  • It raises your research profile.
  • It gives others free and easier access to scholarly publications.
  • It will increase your readership.
  • It can increase the number of citations you get.
  • Many of the research councils now have policies requiring you to deposit research outputs in Open Access Repositories.

How can I make my research open access?
There are two ways of making your publications open access:

  • Green open access - Authors can make their research paper freely available by submitting it to an open access repository such as IRep. There is no financial cost to the author in self-archiving, but permission must be given by the copyright holder.
  • Gold open access - The author publishes in an open access journal, or chooses an open access option in a hybrid journal. The author or their institution pays Article Processing Charges (APCs) to the publisher and the paper goes through the journal's normal peer review process. The research paper is freely and openly available as soon as it is published on the journal website. Gold open access publications can also be added to IRep.

Publisher embargoes and copyright restrictions
Some publishers impose an embargo on when an article can be deposited in a repository. Publishers' embargos can vary in length from 6 to 18 months after publication; details will normally be included in your copyright agreement. It is important to deposit the version that complies with publisher copyright policies. The SHERPA/RoMEO database is a useful resource for checking details of standard publisher policies.

How do I submit to IRep?
You can add material to IRep using the online submission system PubSub. Further information is provided on our open access webpage.

Further support
Your Research Librarian can offer advice on open access and publishers' copyright policies and how to deposit your research to IRep.



Boots Library Level 2 Female student using a laptop