Postal loans FAQ
How do I register to use postal loans?
- Open the registration form.
- Fill in your details as requested.
- Submit the form to the postal loans team.
- The team will check your details and respond to your request as quickly as possible (normally within one working day, but please bear with us if it takes a little longer).
- We will send an email to your NTU email address.
- You will be able to start making requests as soon as the postal loans team have accepted your registration.
How do I make a request?
- Sign in to Library OneSearch using your student username and password.
- Search to find the item you require.
- Click on Request.
- Choose Home Delivery from the Pickup location drop-down box.
- Fill in the Last Interest Date that the item will be of use to you.
- Click the Hold button to submit your request.
- If the item is available on the open shelves, the postal loans team will post it to your preferred address. If the item is already out on loan, the team will send it to you when it has been returned.
- If the item you require is an article from a journal which we hold in print format, please email us the details.
How can I check what is happening to my request?
- You can view the status of your request by checking My Account on Library OneSearch.
- If the book is still on the Requests list, and showing as In Process then it has not yet been sent to you. This could be because:
- we need to retrieve it from another site library
- the book is not in its correct place on the shelf and we are still looking for it
- all copies are already out to other readers and we are waiting for one to be returned for you.
- If you can see the book in your list of loans, this means we have already sent it to you. Click on the title to see more information about the loan, including the date we issued it. This is usually the same date we posted it.
How will I receive the books I ask for?
- When you register we will ask you to provide us with a delivery address (which must be in the UK).
- We will send items to you by courier. Please choose an address where you know there will be someone in to receive and sign for the parcel (this may be a work or home address).
- If the book is available on the shelf at the Boots Library, you should receive it the following working day.
- Books may take longer if they are already out on loan to someone else or if they need to be retrieved from Clifton or Brackenhurst libraries.
- We will always send a message to your NTU mailbox when we dispatch a parcel to you so that you know to expect it the following day. Please let us know if you do not receive it.
How long can I keep the books for?
- One week loans will be issued for two weeks.
- Long loans will be issued for four weeks for undergraduate students and 10 weeks for postgraduate research students.
Can I request all types of library material?
We are able to send the following items via the postal loans service:
- one week loans
- long loans.
If the item you require is an article from a journal which we hold in print format, please email us the details.
Can I renew postal loans?
- Yes, you can renew postal loans an unlimited number of times, provided no-one else has requested them.
- You will receive a reminder email two days before an item is due back, to give you time to renew it or send it back to us.
- You can renew books on line via Library OneSearch or by telephone +44 (0)115 848 2175.
Will my postal loans be recalled?
We may recall items on loan to you if someone else requests them. Recalled items may need to be returned early but we will give you a minimum of one week to return them. If the items are not returned within a few days of the new due date then you will incur fines, so please let us know if you are unable to return postal loans on time.
Will I be charged fines on postal loans?
If the book is not returned within a few days of its due date, fines will be charged at the standard rate.