US Federal Loans

Direct Stafford Loans, from the William D Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program, are low-interest loans for eligible students to help cover the cost of higher education.

NTU is registered as a foreign school with the US Department of Education. This means that we can certify eligibility for Direct Loans and Direct PLUS Loans (graduate / professional students only) for students who are studying here at least half-time. We are unable to certify loans if any element of your course is distance learning. In addition, you must be attending a course that leads to one of the qualifications below:

  • bachelor degrees
  • masters or doctorate degrees
  • first professional degrees.

Our school code is G30925.

Visit the US Department of Education website to:

  • see if you are eligible (Who Gets Aid)
  • find out the details of annual and aggregate loan limits.

Please note, we are unable to certify loans for professional courses that do not lead to the above qualifications.  This includes the Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL) and the traditional Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC) without the full Masters award. 

Please also note, we are unable to certify loans for any course in which a portion of the course involves spending time in the USA (e.g. for a trip or placement year). Additionally we also are unable to certify loans for any courses where a student is due to study for any period of time at a foreign school that is not eligible for US funding. If you are uncertain regarding your course eligibility, please contact us by email or call +44 (0)115 848 2494.

Types of funding available

For further information about the Direct Subsidised, Unsubsidised and PLUS loans, along with guidance on annual and aggregate loan limits, please see our guide on Types of US Loans Available PDF icon .

How to apply for 2018/19 academic year

Please note: The University requires you to complete ALL the following steps for EVERY academic year in respect of which you are requesting a loan from the US Department of Education.

Step One: Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

Complete your FAFSA application ensuring you list Nottingham Trent University (school code G30925) as your chosen School.

Step Two: Master Promissory Note

Complete and eSign Master Promissory Note (MPN).

Step Three: Entrance Counselling

Complete your entrance counselling.

For one year / final year student please also complete exit counselling.

Step Four: Register your details with the University

Complete our online registration form which will collect details about you, the course on which you are studying and the loan (or loans) you are applying for. Once we have this information, we will be able to start assessing your eligibility for the loan.

If, after submitting the form, anything changes, please ensure you keep us up to date by email.

Please note that the NTU registration form is now for the 2018/19 academic year. For current students wishing to apply for the 2017/18 academic year, please contact our team for further guidance via email.

What Happens Next?

1. Calculation of your Loan Award

The actual loan originated will be subject to all of the following:

  • the annual and aggregate loan limits set by the government
  • your cost of attendance, including your tuition fees and the living costs allowances calculated by the University PDF icon
  • your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) as shown on your Student Aid Report (SAR)
  • any other Estimated Financial Assistance (EFA) you may be receiving (for example, scholarships or bursaries. Further information can be found on Nottingham Trent University's International Scholarships pages.)

2. Notification of your Loan Award 

We normally start assessing eligibility for direct loans during June as our conversion rate is set on June 1st. Once we have all the necessary information, it can take the University two weeks to process the loan and generate your loan notification letter.

We will calculate your loan entitlement and email you with confirmation of the loan amount and the dates the loan will be disbursed to the University. We will also provide you with a letter confirming the loan details for you to pass on to the UKVI in support of your visa application.

Please note the first payment of the direct loan is normally available once your course starts, therefore loan funds are not available to pay any advanced payment you may be required to make to the University. However, in cases where a student does not have funds to pay the advance payment, and your total loan is sufficient to cover the advanced payment and balance of any tuition fees due for the 2018/19 academic year, the University may consider deferring any advanced payment until the loan is paid. Please contact us by email to discuss this further. 

Please be aware that we cannot process your loan until you have completed all the necessary steps and we have been able to verify all the information necessary to determine your eligibility for the loan.  

3. Disbursement of your Loan Award

Loan disbursements will be received directly into the University's bank account at the start of each of the three academic terms and then credited against any tuition fees you have due and accommodation costs, if applicable.

For 2017/18 the Disbursement Dates were set as follows:

Disbursement 1 - 25th September 2017

Disbursement 2 - 8th January 2018

Disbursement 3 - 16th April 2018

From the advised disbursement date, you may need to allow up to 14 working days for the release of the funds to be completed. While there may be surplus funds available after the university fees are deducted, please do not depend on these funds being credited to your account on the actual disbursement date shown in your notification letter. As the first disbursement is available after your course starts we would advise you to have sufficient funds to see you through until then. This will allow time for you to open a UK bank account where any surplus loan funds that may be due to you can be credited.

Each term the process will be as follows:

  • If the loan instalment is in excess of the amount required to cover tuition fees, the balance will be credited to any university accommodation costs (where applicable). Should there still be excess funds then the balance will be credited to your bank account. We will contact you in due course if we require your bank details.
  • If the loan is not sufficient to cover tuition fees and any university accommodation costs due, we will require you to provide credit or debit card details to cover the balance due. The University will contact in due course if we require your card details.
  • Each term the University will email you to confirm the loan received and how it has been processed

N.B. Loan Fee: For each disbursement, there is an origination fee charge made which is subtracted from the gross amount. Please refer to your master promissory note for further information.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Prior to the payment of subsequent instalments of your direct loan, the University is required by the US Department of Education to check that you are progressing satisfactorily in your studies. The Student Financial Support Service will liaise directly with your academic school to obtain this information and if there is a problem that might affect your ability to receive the loan funding, we will contact you.

Download a copy of NTU's Satisfactory Academic Progress Process PDF icon .

Return of Title IV Funds

When a student withdraws from their course at the University prior to the end of their loan period, the University is required to make a calculation to determine the amount of loan that has been 'earned' and the amount of loan that has been 'unearned'. All unearned income attributed to institutional charges must be returned to the US Department of Education by the University.

Download the University's Return of Title IV refunds policy PDF icon

Before withdrawing from your course, or suspending your studies, it is essential that you seek advice from the University's US Loans Administrator within the Student Financial Support Service (contact details below), so we can assess the impact on your federal direct loan funding. 

1098-T Tax Form

Nottingham Trent University's Employer Identification Number (EIN) is 98-0119380.

Unfortunately as a Foreign Institute, Nottingham Trent University is not able to complete the 1098-T Tax Form. However students can request confirmation of any fees paid from our Finance Office. They can be contacted Monday - Friday between 9 am - 4 pm by calling +44 (0)115 848 6500 or by email

Department of Veterans Affairs

Some students may be eligible for education funding and training benefit from the US Department of Veterans Affairs. Please contact our team directly to ensure that your chosen course is eligible and approved in order to receive this benefit. Please contact us by email or by calling +44 (0)115 848 2494.

For further information regarding the US Department of Veterans Affairs, please see their Get Started and Apply for Benefits webpages. 

Canadian Loans

For any Canadian students hoping to study at Nottingham Trent University, please find further  Information and entry requirement for students from Canada. If you have any queries in relation to authorising a Canadian Loan, please contact us by email or by calling +44 (0)115 848 2494.

Consumer Information

We recommend all prospective students take the opportunity to read the NTU Student Charter outlining the agreement and relationship between you as a student, the University and the Students' Union. The Student Handbook also is a useful resource on University regulations, guidance and support.

We would also recommend that all students read and are aware of the Student Code of Behaviour PDF icon .

Admissions Policy and Guidance

For specific Information and entry requirement for students from the USA, please see our International pages. These also provide guidance on transferring credits to study at Nottingham Trent University. 

Alternatively for the Nottingham Trent University Admissions processes, please refer to the Admission's Quality Handbook PDF icon

Completion/Graduation and Transfer-Out Rates

Information in relation to completion/graduation rates and transfer-out (non-continuation) rates are available through HESA (the Higher Education Statistics Agency). You will be able to find our information under Nottingham Trent University, under the East Midlands data. Due to the Data Protection Act we are unable to provide further demographic details in relation to completion and transfer-out data. 

Disability Support

You can find further information about the services and resources available to students with a physical disability/long term health condition, mental health difficulty or specified learning difficulty offered by both our Disability Services and our Wellbeing Service.

Missing Person Policy

Where there are concerns in relation to a missing student, please contact your course team or the University Wellbeing Service.

If you wished to report a missing person with Nottinghamshire Police, you can do so either by calling 101 (non-emergency number) or 999 (emergency number) and ask for the police. 

Textbook Information and Pricing

Each course team will set their own reading list and provide guidance on any required or recommended textbooks. For further information we would recommend contacting your Academic School directly or contacting the NTU Switchboard on +44 (0)115 941 8418 and asking to be put through to your course team.

Further information

You can contact the Student Financial Support Service on +44 (0)115 848 2494 or by email to find out more about loans for US students.

In addition, our International Student webpages contain lots of useful information about living in the UK, including details of living costs, opening a UK bank account and applying for your Tier 4 Visa.