On placement?

The information on this page is for full-time UK 'home' undergraduate students, who are funded by Student Finance England. If you are funded by Student Finance Wales, Student Finance NI or the Student Awards Agency for Scotland, please contact us for advice. 

On placement?

There are certain differences to your fees and student finance if you are a full-time UK home undergraduate student who will be on a placement as part of a sandwich degree during the 2019/20 academic year. These differences will apply if your total attendance at the University over the whole academic year will be less than ten weeks. Further information about the fee that you will be charged for your placement year can be found on our 'how much are my fees' page. 

If your placement does not last the full year, you may be charged a higher tuition fee if you spend ten or more weeks studying at University during that year. 

Maintenance loans and maintenance grants for living costs

Government grants are not normally available to students during a full placement year. A reduced rate of loan is also payable as follows.


Are you?Full yearFinal year
Living away from home£2,709 £2,112
Living in parents' home £2,031 £1,543

You may be eligible to receive the same grants and loans during the years when you attend University if you are doing an unpaid placement in the public or voluntary sector. Contact your national student finance service to check if you will get full funding for any unpaid placement.

You will be eligible for the full range of grants and loans, if both of the following apply to you:

  • Your placement does not last the full academic year.
  • You are in attendance at the University for ten weeks or more.

NTU bursaries

These arrangements apply to students who joined NTU before 1 September 2012 or after 1 September 2015. One of the eligibility requirements for the NTU Bursary Scheme is that students must be paying the full home tuition fee. Students on a placement year as part of a sandwich course cannot be considered for an NTU Bursary, because they do not pay the full home tuition fee.

Receiving your student loan

To apply for a tuition fee loan and / or a maintenance loan, you will need to make it clear to your national Student Finance Service that you are a placement student when you renew your funding. The Student Loans Company will pay the first instalment of your maintenance loan up to 25 working days earlier than usual, in recognition of the fact that a placement year often starts earlier than an academic year. If you have any queries about applying for support, you can contact your national Student Finance Services.

Further advice

  • Download our Guide to Work Placements fact sheet PDF icon for information on fees and funding for placement students.
  • See our current students' page on placements.
  • Contact the University's Student Financial Support Service on +44 (0)115 848 2494 or via email for information and advice.