What is EcoCampus?
EcoCampus is an Environmental Management System (EMS) and award scheme that has been specifically designed for universities. It aims to assist institutions in moving towards environmental sustainability through good operational and management practices.
The pilot EcoCampus scheme began in November 2005 for ten English universities including NTU. In November 2008 the pilot universities continued their progress through the EcoCampus awards and a new cohort of universities joined the scheme. It is operated as a non-profit venture.
There are four phases to the scheme:
- Bronze - Planning
- Silver - Implementing
- Gold - Operating
- Platinum - Checking and Correcting
Platinum is the final phase and once awarded indicates a fully operational, auditable EMS.
Platinum for NTU
NTU's Sustainable Development Team has been given the Platinum Award for its EMS. View the scope of NTU's EMS . This is a fantastic achievement demonstrating that NTU has made significant progress with its EMS across the whole estate. Actions that have been completed as a result of implementing EcoCampus at NTU include:
- Understanding and complying with all relevant legislation
- Setting and reviewing environmental objectives and targets to manage our environmental impacts in relation to the University's environmental aspects and impacts register. Please view our 2017/18 objectives and targets and 2018/19 objectives and targets , and the progress made against them
- Implementing an Environmental Policy
- Having suitable operational practices in place to reduce NTU's environmental impacts
What is ISO 14001?
As well as achieving EcoCampus Platinum, NTU have received certification for the international standard ISO 14001 for its Environmental Management System (EMS), the most widely used EMS in the world.
The ISO 14001 audit took place over five days and covered all three campuses. During the visit the auditor was really impressed with the overall culture and attitude of all those he spoke to throughout the week with regards to their individual attitudes towards environmental management across the University.
Benefits of implementing ISO 14001 for NTU include:
- Delivering projects like Green Impact
- Ensuring new buildings and refurbishments have sound environmental qualities
- Provision of sustainable transport options for staff and students for example the Go2 Uni 4
NTU was one of the first universities to achieve both EcoCampus Platinum and ISO 14001.