What are the Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) and how do I apply?

Please see Funding Your Support.

I have permission to arrange an Assessment of Needs / Top up Assessment. What should I do now?

We have an Assessment Centre at Nottingham Trent University and you should call +44 (0)115 848 3495 to organise an appointment. You can also search for an Assessment centre in the UK on the Disabled Students' Allowance Quality Assurance Group site.

How long is the waiting list?

We aim to meet our Key Performance Indicator (KPI) of booking assessments within three weeks of your first point of contact. If we are not able to book you in at our Centre we will assist you with arranging an assessment at another centre or book you in for our next available appointment.

I've applied for DSA but have not heard anything?

You will need to contact Student Finance England on +44 (0)845 300 50 90.

What is an Assessment of Needs?

It is a meeting with one of our skilled and friendly assessors to determine how the DSA funds can best be spent, and how your university should make adjustments to assist you.

During the meeting, we will discuss the learning strategies that you currently use, the requirements of your course and any support needs that you may have. The assessor will suggest strategies that could be used to manage the effects of your disability on your studies.

I've had my assessment, but I'm not sure what to do next?

If your assessment was at our Assessment centre and you have a query about it then you should call +44 (0)115 8483495 or email us. If you've had an assessment at another centre then you should call them. A list of centres is available from the Disabled Students' Allowance Quality Assurance Group.

How do I order equipment now that I have had my assessment?

Your funding body will contact you by post, telling you how to order the equipment. The usual way to order the equipment is for you to call the supplier recommended in the letter. They will need a copy of the letter. The Disabled Students' Allowance Quality Assurance Group has more information on this.

If you need support in ordering your equipment, contact your Disability Officer at the University.

I had my assessment some time ago and I need to talk about the support

You should telephone +44 (0)115 848 3495 or email us outlining briefly what you need.

The equipment provided through DSA has broken, who do I need to speak to?

You should contact the supplier of the equipment as there will be a maintenance agreement in place to cover most repairs.

I've lost / had my laptop stolen. Can I borrow one?

The library have a limited number which are available for use within the library for up to four hours. You should also contact the supplier to check the insurance policy if your equipment has been stolen.

What if I'm not happy with the service?

Please talk to your assessor or the Assessment Centre Administrator first. They will be able to talk you through the complaints process. If you would then like to make a formal complaint, please write to the Student Support Services (Disability Services) Manager at the Student Services Centre at the City Campus.