Changing your course?

If you are reading this, you are probably feeling unsure about your current choice of course. This guide will help you think about what you need to consider and do, and the support available to you during this process.

Talk to your course team

Your course staff will want to help you to consider any options that might assist you to feel happier on your current course. They will be able to:

  • help you explore the reasons why the course may not be for you
  • work with you to identify the academic options available to you within your course
  • advise you on the process involved in changing your course and who to formally keep up-to-date
  • agree a last date of attendance (if applicable).

You can be as open or confidential with your reasons as you wish. Contact your team (for example, the year or course leader) via your subject administrator. You will be able to find the contact details you need in your course handbook on NOW.

Get early advice from the Employability Team

You may find it helpful to meet with a careers consultant from your School, when thinking about changing your course. The team can:

  • help you explore the reasons why the course may not be for you
  • work with you to identify the options available to you
  • advise you on the process involved in changing your course
  • help you to identify the subjects you have enjoyed in the past
  • work with you to find out how to realise your career aspirations.

You can make an appointment to see a careers consultant or visit the Employability Centre on your campus:

  • City – Newton Building, +44 (0)115 848 8638
  • Clifton – Student Services Centre, +44 (0)115 848 3414
  • Brackenhurst – Bramley Building, +44 (0)115 848 8649

Money advice

You can make an appointment to speak with one of our money advisers about the financial impact of any decision to change courses:

They will talk you through the implications on your current loan / grant arrangements, if you decide to leave your current course. They will also be able to tell you about the funding arrangements available for the upcoming academic year and whether you will have to repay any funding you have already received.

Transferring internally

If you are an existing NTU student and would like to transfer to a different course at NTU, you should contact the programme leader of the course you would like to transfer to. They will assess your suitability to the course, including your current qualifications.

To contact the programme leader, please visit the relevant Academic school site.

Email NTU admissions for full details on how to transfer to another course internally. It is not likely that you will be required to apply via UCAS if you are transferring internally.

Transferring externally

You will need to apply via UCAS if you are applying externally. More details are available at the UCAS website. You will also need to contact your course team as mentioned above.

Accommodation issues

You will need to inform your landlord / Student Accommodation Services team if you are leaving your residential accommodation before the end of your contract. You will be liable for the remaining full tenancy costs, unless you can get someone to take your room.

See the full details on the Accommodation website. You may lose your deposit if you have made arrangements to pay for a house next year. The Students' Union Advice Centre can talk you through this in more detail as tenancy / housing experts.




Student receiving help
Students talking
Students talking