Council Tax exemption

Council Tax is charged by Local Authorities, and reinvested in public services. Local authorities offer allowances to certain groups, however, which can discount these charges, or remove them entirely. Full time students are typically exempt from liability for Council Tax.

To be eligible for an exemption from Council Tax liabilities, you need to make sure that:

  • You're fully enrolled, on a full-time course of study.
  • You're currently resident in the property for which you're looking to secure exemption.
  • This property is listed as your current Term Time or Permanent Residential address (these details can be amended through your NOW account).
  • You have notified the relevant council of your student status (please see contact details below)

Please note that exemptions / reductions are issued at the discretion of the Local Authority: NTU cannot in any way influence their final decision, and can only provide confirmation of your course title, mode of study, and pertaining dates of attendance.

I am a fully enrolled, full-time student, and live locally

The majority of our students live in Greater Nottingham and its surrounding boroughs, specifically:

Ashfield District Council
Tel: 01623 457400

Bassetlaw District Council
Online Application: Apply for Disregard

Broxtowe Borough Council
Tel: 0115 917 7777
Application Form: Students

Derby City Council
Tel: 0333 200 6900

Erewash Borough Council
Tel: 0115 907 1000
Online Application: Council Tax Discount

Gedling Borough Council
Tel: 0115 901 3950
Application Form: Student Certificate

Mansfield District Council
01623 463144
Application Form: Students

Newark and Sherwood District Council
Tel: 01636 650 000

Nottingham City Council
Tel: 0115 718 1777

Rushcliffe Borough Council
Tel: 0115 981 9911
Online Application: Request Exemption

If you are currently living in one of these Local Authorities, all you need to do is confirm your Student Status by contacting the relevant council. The Local Authority will then verify your details with the University and, where appropriate, grant you the relevant council tax exemption/reduction.

I am a fully enrolled, full-time student, and live outside of the Local Authorities listed above

If you require council tax exemption for a property outside of the Local Authorities listed above, we can provide a Confirmation of Student Status Letter for you to show your local council. Please consult our comprehensive list of frequently asked questions for further guidance.

DirectGov's Life at University section has further information about Council Tax.