Information for EU and EEA students

The UK has given formal notification of its intention to withdraw from the European Union, but still currently remains a member of the European Union. Therefore, there is currently no change to the position of EU and EEA nationals and their right to live, study and work in the UK. It was originally anticipated that the UK would leave the EU on 29 March 2019 and, provided a withdrawal agreement had been reached, that there would be a transition period likely to last from 30 March 2019 until 31 December 2020. The UK did not leave the EU on 29 March 2019 - the revised agreed date of the UK's departure from the EU is 31 October 2019 or earlier if the Withdrawal Agreement is agreed before this date.

What will happen after Brexit?

The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) has recently published a helpful guidance on some of the post-Brexit rules and entitlements for students, and their website is kept up to date with any information about Brexit which is particularly relevant to students. Generic information on Brexit is available on the GOV.UK website.

Please find below further information about the current rules and entitlements for EU and EEA students:

Residency rights

As an EU/EEA national, you are entitled to enter the UK freely. If you plan to be in the UK for more than 3 months, you must be exercising a right to reside, as a worker or as a student for example. You do not have to register or apply for any particular documents in order to stay in the UK, but you need to be able to meet certain criteria if you are exercising your treaty rights as a student. This includes being enrolled on a course of study, having sufficient financial resources to support yourself during your stay and having comprehensive sickness insurance.


In order to be able to access free healthcare under the NHS (National Health Service), you will need to obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from your country of residence prior to coming to the UK. The UK government has produced a leaflet about EHIC PDF icon and access to medical treatment while in the UK.

In addition, if you are exercising your right to reside in the UK as a student or self-sufficient person, you are required to have comprehensive sickness insurance throughout your period of residence in the UK. Having an EHIC satisfies this requirement if you are not intending to be in the UK permanently. If you intend to stay in the UK permanently, you will need to arrange separate insurance.

Fees and funding

For more information about current arrangements for tuition fees and funding available to EU / EEA students, please visit the Student Financial Support web pages. EU students enrolling in English universities in 2019-20 and 2020-21 will pay the same tuition fees as UK students and remain eligible for financial support for the duration of their courses.

Working during your studies

Please check our website for more information about your entitlement to work in the UK as an EU / EEA student.