Applying for a Tier 4 Student Visa from inside the UK

Before you start your course at Nottingham Trent University (NTU), you need to apply for a Tier 4 visa. You may also need to make a visa application if you need more time to finish your current course at NTU. To do this you will need:

  • to check you can apply in the UK – you may have to apply for your visa overseas. Visit the UKCISA website to find out where you need to apply. Continuing students should read our guidance note to check if they will be able to apply in the UK.
  • your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).
  • to prepare your documents and show you can afford to study in the UK.


Step 1 - Get a CAS

You must meet the conditions of your offer and get a CAS number before being able to apply.

Step 2 - Prepare your funds for the maintenance requirement

You must make sure that the amounts listed below are in a bank account in your name, or your parents' name, for at least 28 days before you make your application.

£9,135 (living costs) + any outstanding course fees for the first year of your course.

For example, if your fees are £12,500 and you have made an advance payment of £3,000, you will need to save £9,135 + £9,500 = £18,635

If you are applying to extend your visa to complete your current course, you must make sure that the amounts listed below are in a bank account in your name, or your parents' name, for 28 days before you make your application.

£1,015 per month left on the course (up to a maximum of £9,135) + any outstanding course fees showing on the CAS.

Please read our guidance note PDF icon for more information on what documents you can use to show you meet the maintenance requirement.

If you have an official financial sponsor (your government, for example), you will need to have an original sponsorship letter.

Step 3 - Prepare your supporting documents

For your visa application you need:

  • your passport and visa
  • financial evidence PDF icon (bank statement or sponsorship letter)
  • certificates and / or transcripts from previous courses, as listed in the 'evidence used to obtain offer' section of your CAS.

All documents must be originals, and you must provide an official translation PDF icon if they are not in English.

You may need to provide additional documents (for example, police registration certificate, ATAS certificate). For more details on what you will need to provide, please check our guidance note.

Step 4 - Complete your online application

When you have met all the requirements and got all your documents ready, you can start completing the tier 4 application form online.

For more help with completing the application:

  • use our step-by-step guide PDF icon to the online form
  • come along to one of our IT workshops (available before key course start dates) if you need support with the online application process.

If you are progressing from Nottingham Trent International College (NTIC) or studying a Pre-Sessional English for Academic Purposes (PEAP) course, we will contact you directly to discuss the support available.

Step 5 - Submit your application to the International Student Support Service (ISSS)

We can check your visa application and send it on for you. If you want to use our check and send service, please read our information about the conditions of use and deadlines for submitting your application to us.

If you are progressing from NTIC or studying PEAP courses, we will contact you directly to confirm when you should hand in your application.

Step 6 - Submit your visa application online and pay your fee

Once we have checked your application, you can pay the visa application fee and Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) PDF icon  and submit your application online. For further information about the different options for making your application and the relevant fees, please read our guidance note PDF icon .  

It is essential that you submit your application online and pay the application fee before your visa expires. Once you have submitted your visa application online, you will need to attend an appointment at one of the UK Visas and Citizenship Application Service Points. For further details about paying for your visa application and book your appointment at a UKVCAS Service Point, please check our guidance. PDF icon

You may be required to attend a credibility interview, see our guidance note for further information.






A paper aeroplane
Students in front of the Newton building
International student at Student Services