Leaving NTU?

The information on this page is for full-time undergraduate home students receiving support from Student Finance England under the Education (Student Support) Regulations. If you are a part-time undergraduate, or a postgraduate student, or receiving funding from a different funding authority, please contact us for further advice as arrangements may vary. 

If you are thinking about leaving NTU, you need to get advice regarding your fees and funding. The information on this page outlines what will happen with your student finance and NTU tuition fees.

Both the amount of fees a student is liable to pay and the grant (if applicable) / loan funding available for fees and living costs will be determined by the precise date on which a student withdraws. The official date of withdrawal will be determined by the academic school and this should be communicated directly to the Student Loans Company by NTU. The precise date is usually based on when a student confirms in writing their intention to withdraw but we would ask both students and academic schools to be mindful of the deadlines set out below.

Post-2016 – new fee and funding arrangements

If a student withdraws and decides to return to Higher Education (either at NTU or at another institution), then they will be subject to the post-2016 tuition fee rates and new student finance arrangements.

Pre-2016 fees and funding arrangements

Students who started their course after 1 September 2012 but before 1 August 2016 and are considering withdrawing may wish to consider transferring courses, or taking time out, to consider their options to preserve their entitlement to pay fees and receive funding under the pre-2016 arrangements. Further advice on these options is available from the Student Financial Support Service.

Students who started their course before 1 September 2012 should seek advice from the Student Financial Support Service.

Tuition fees

At Nottingham Trent University, tuition fee liability for Home / EU undergraduate students is calculated on a termly basis, in line with how the tuition fee loan is paid to the University.

When a student leaves before the end of the academic year, they are charged a portion of the tuition fee, based on the number of terms they were in attendance. Find out more about your fee liability if you leave during the 2018/19 academic year.

Where a student is receiving a tuition fee loan to cover their full tuition fee, the amount of loan will be adjusted to cover the reduced fee if necessary, once the University has advised the student finance service of the date of withdrawal.

Grants and loans for living costs

Leaving University early can often result in overpayments of grants and loans for living costs. How this overpayment is calculated and recovered depends on the type of support.


The Maintenance Grant, Special Support Grant, Adult Dependants Grant and Parents Learning Allowance are paid in respect of 365 days. Where a student withdraws from their course before the end of an academic year, a reassessment of these grants will normally be based on the number of days from the first day of the academic year to the date of withdrawal. This will often result in an overpayment of grant, which students are likely to be asked to repay immediately.

Maintenance Loan

The Maintenance Loan is paid in respect of each term (a payment period). When a student withdraws from their course their entitlement to a loan will be reassessed. The reassessment of the Maintenance Loan will normally be based on the number of days from the first day of the academic year to the date of withdrawal. Where a student withdraws from their course part-way through a term there is likely to be an overpayment, which they may be asked to repay immediately. Alternatively, the overpayment may be recovered alongside the rest of their loan(s), once their income is above a certain threshold. Details of student loan repayment arrangements can be found on the Student Loans Company website.

Advice regarding grant and loan overpayments

Advice is available from the Student Financial Support Service for students who want to check the level of grant and loan overpayment they will incur if they withdraw. In addition, advisers can assist in negotiations with the Student Loans Company regarding when and how the overpayment will be recovered.

Returning to higher education in the future – previous study rules

If a student withdraws from NTU, then their student finance entitlement is terminated with immediate effect.

If they return to higher education at some point in the future, they can re-apply for support but any previous study will be taken into account when calculating the amount of support available.

Normally a student can receive full-time support to cover the normal course duration plus one extra year, less the number of years study already undertaken. (If a student starts a course of study in 2018/19 but withdraws part way through, then the year will still count as a full year on a course when calculating the number of years a student will be supported in the future).

As such, if a student withdraws during the first year of their first ever full-time HE course, then they can expect to receive support for the duration of their new course.

What do you need to do…?

  • Seek advice from Student Financial Support for advice on the implications of withdrawal on your tuition fee liability, and your entitlement to grants and loans during the current and future years
  • Contact Student Finance England and notify them of your change of circumstances.
  • Contact the Subject Administrator within your academic school to check the procedure for withdrawing from your course and to agree your last date of attendance.

What should NTU do...?

  • Notify Student Finance England of the precise date of withdrawal.

Further advice

Advice on all aspects of funding is available from the Student Financial Support Service on +44 (0)115 848 2494 or via email.