Part-time undergraduate students

This section details the funding you can get as a part-time home undergraduate student, applying through Student Finance England. If you apply through a different Student Finance service, you can find out about eligibility via the following links:

Part-time students from England, and those with ‘home’ student status can apply for a tuition fee loan. To be eligible for a tuition fee loan, applicants must be studying at least 25% of the equivalent full-time course. You'll usually get student finance only if you're doing your first higher education qualification, even if your previous course was self-funded. Funding is also available for distance learning courses. 

For courses that start after 1st August 2018, Part-time students from England, and those with ‘home’ student status can also apply for a maintenance loan. How much you will get will depend on your household income and the course intensity. For example, if your course intensity is 50% of a full-time course, you will receive 50% of the maintenance that an equivalent full-time student will receive. There are six bands of entitlement depending on the course intensity.

You can watch a short video on part-time undergraduate funding on Youtube.

Part-time funding applications for 2019/20 are now open.

Please visit for further information about tuition fee loans for part-time students, including details of how to apply, repaying your loan, and interest rates.

Disabled Students' Allowance

If you incur additional study-related costs due to a disability, you can apply to your national Student Finance service for an additional non-repayable grant to support these costs. Your household income will not be taken into consideration when calculating your grant amount. Email our Disability Support Service for more information.

Discretionary Hardship Fund

Part-time students can apply to the Discretionary Hardship Fund for help towards the costs associated with attending the course, such as travel or childcare costs. Support is means tested based on household income. Please visit the Discretionary Hardship Fund webpage for further information.

Further information

You can contact Student Financial Support Service on +44 (0)115 848 2494 or by email if you have any questions on part-time funding.