Working after your studies

If you are coming to the end of your studies and would be interested in staying in the UK to work, you will need to find out what type of immigration category you may be able to apply for. The UKCISA website provides useful information about this.

NTU’s Employability Online website also has dedicated pages for International students with lots of resources to help you with your job search.

There are currently a number of other immigration options available to students wishing to stay in the UK to work after their studies, including:

  • Tier 4 (Doctorate Extension Scheme): this scheme is designed to give students who have almost finished their UK PhD or other doctorate qualification an additional 12 months of Tier 4 (General) immigration permission in which to look for and start work in the UK. Students wishing to apply will need to complete an intention to apply form. Full details can be found by reading our guidance note PDF icon .
  • Tier 2 (General): this includes special concessions for international students who have been offered a graduate-level job and are applying in the UK following their course.
  • Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme): for young people from participating countries and territories who want to experience life in the UK for a period of two years (full-time work is permitted).
  • Tier 1: a range of immigration routes for exceptionally talented and highly skilled workers, investors, and entrepreneurs. This includes the Tier 1 graduate entrepreneur visa, which allows selected graduates to develop their business idea – for more details about the eligibility criteria, please visit The Hive website.

For full details of the immigration routes allowing you to work in the UK, please visit the UKVI website.

Finding a graduate job
The University's Employability Team provides extensive information and resources for current students and recent graduates who are looking for work.