Have you been in care?
When applying to university, the UCAS application form asks you if you have spent any time in care - even if it's just one day. If you say 'yes', you will not be labelled or judged and it will not affect your chances of success. This will simply help us to see which applicants may benefit from hearing a bit more about the range of support at NTU for care leavers (and people in care who are thinking of coming to University in the future).
NTU statement of commitment to care leavers
NTU believes that care leavers can enjoy the same prospects as everyone else and have a positive future, and that higher education can help you achieve this.
We think that the wellbeing of all students is really important. We believe that all students are entitled to quality support should they wish to access it, and we work with each person on an individual basis. We recognise your circumstances as someone who has spent time in care and we are committed to providing support from someone who understands your needs. We have a dedicated Support Officer for care leavers who offers confidential ongoing support, advice and guidance throughout your student journey, from thinking about making an application to NTU through to your graduation day.
We encourage you to visit us on one of our open days to find out more about what the University as a whole has to offer, and to get in touch with the Support Officer to find out about the range of support here including:
- a dedicated support officer for care leavers (and students estranged from their family)
- money advisers to help you apply for all you are entitled to and work out a budget to suit your needs and interests
- a guaranteed offer of University-allocated accommodation if you have accepted a place at NTU as your first choice - accommodation in halls is available throughout the summer vacation too (ask the Support Officer about this)
- personal health and wellbeing welcome pack
- help accessing all NTU's support services.
For more information or to arrange a visit, please contact the Support Officer on +44 (0)115 848 3290 or email us.