Care leavers and foyer residents

We have a designated support officer for students who have spent time in local authority care or foyer residences. They can give you advice and support on a range of issues, or help you to find the most appropriate support from elsewhere.

We have also written a Guide to Funding for Care Leavers  PDF icon . This has lots of helpful information about the costs you might expect to face as a student and the funding you are entitled to apply for.

We also welcome enquiries from carers, support workers, and personal advisers who may be helping young people to make their transition from care to university.

For more information, or to arrange a meeting, please telephone the support officer on +44 (0)115 848 3290 or send an email.

NTU Care Leaver Bursary

Nottingham Trent University will be awarding a Care Leaver Bursary of £500 to eligible full-time undergraduates who commence their studies at Nottingham Trent University in 2017.

The £500 cash award to supplement living costs will be paid to students who meet the following criteria:

  • have been in the care of a local authority in the UK (or have been looked after by relatives who have a court order to look after them in the UK) at some point since the age of 16
  • are under 25 on 1 September 2017
  • are enrolled on a full-time undergraduate degree course or foundation degree course.

The Care Leaver Bursary will be available for each year of full-time study.

If you meet all the eligibility criteria listed above, you can apply for the NTU Care Leaver Bursary.

To apply, you will need to email Care Leaver Bursary and you will be sent a link to our online application form.

See our NTU Care Leaver Bursary Guidance NotesPDF icon for further information.

What if I'm not happy with the service?

Please talk to the care leaver support officer first. If you would then like to make a formal complaint, please write to the wellbeing manager at the Student Services Centre at the City Campus.