Students with caring responsibilities

Many students combine their university studies with caring responsibilities, such as caring for children, disabled or elderly parents, or other adult dependants. Juggling external responsibilities with studies can be challenging, that's why we have put this information together to help you plan your time effectively and get the support you need.

Planning your time

If you are enrolled at a course at NTU you can access your personal course timetable online via NOW (the University's Online Workspace). Each academic school also has dedicated timetablers. Although they may not be able to release the timetable before the publication date, they may be able to give you useful information to assist you in making the necessary arrangements for:

  • childcare
  • home care
  • medical or personal support assistance. 

Contact the relevant academic school office in the first instance. If you are unable to contact the relevant school timetabler this way, email the Student Support Officer (Widening Participation) for advice.

Academic work

You may experience difficulties in keeping up with academic work or with attendance if problems occur at home. If these problems have an adverse impact on studies, for example you miss a deadline, it is important to make relevant staff in your academic school aware as soon as possible. Find out early in your studies who you should contact if you experience illness or complications at home. For example, this could be your course administrator, course leader, module leader or seminar tutor.

The following university policies relate to difficulties with study:

Personal support

There is support available if you are struggling with emotional or personal issues. The Counselling Service offers a safe, non-judgemental environment for you to talk to a professional about what you are going through. We also provide a range of guides and information sheets on a range of issues including, stress, sleep problems and concentration.

Financial support

Some students with caring responsibilities may be eligible to extra financial support. Please see the Student Financial Support Service pages for further information on funding issues.

External sources of information and support for carers

Your own Local Authority will provide information and advice to carers, so contact them directly if you need to find out what they offer and what you might be entitled to. See the:

What if I'm not happy with the service?

Please talk to the Mature Student Support Officer first. If you would then like to make a formal complaint, please write to the Wellbeing Manager at the Student Services Centre at the City Campus.


Student Services
Someone being handed a telephone
A member of staff helping a student